Xavi responds to speculation Barcelona want to re-sign Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Chelsea

Xavi responds to speculation Barcelona want to re-sign Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Chelsea post thumbnail image

Xavi has played down the likelihood of Barcelona re-signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang in the January transfer window amid speculation he is unhappy at Chelsea.

The Barca manager was reluctant to sell the experienced striker in the summer after his goals helped secure Champions League qualification, a prospect that looked unlikely upon his arrival from Arsenal.

With the Catalan giants in desperate need of raising funds, Aubameyang was sold on the final day of the summer window but his Chelsea career has not gone to plan.

Aubameyang recovered from the blow of seeing his reunion with Thomas Tuchel last less than a week and scored in three successive games but his form has deteriorated rapidly under Graham Potter.

The 33-year-old suffered the ignominy of being hauled off having been introduced as an early substitute against Manchester City last week and missed Sunday’s FA Cup tie against the same opposition with a back injury.

Potter confirmed Chelsea’s No.9 would be fit enough to return to the squad for tomorrow night’s west London derby against Fulham, but AS report he is unhappy at Stamford Bridge and craves a return to Barcelona.

AS claim Aubameyang has been in regular touch with Xavi and would accept a return to Camp Nou even if he were to play second fiddle to Barcelona’s headline summer signing Robert Lewandowski.

Meanwhile, Gerard Romero claims Barcelona are interested in bringing Aubameyang back to Catalunia but they would need to free up a space in their squad to facilitate the transfer.

Memphis Depay looks the most likely candidate to leave this month and the Netherlands international has himself been linked with a return to one his former clubs, Manchester United.

Barcelona are also said to be giving consideration to allowing Frank Kessie to depart with the 26-year-old having made just two La Liga starts since his transfer from Milan.

Xavi and his squad are currently in Saudi Arabia ahead of the Spanish Super Cup against Real Betis and was asked about the possibility of adding to his squad in the coming weeks.

“We are happy with the squad. In principle, there will be no changes. There has been no meeting.

“Depay? We do not know anything. We will see what happens. I told the board that I’d be happy if the squad remains as it is.”

He said.

Source: Metro News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Post