Tottenham urged to appoint Vincent Kompany as Daniel Levy decides to sack Antonio Conte this week
Tottenham have been urged to poach Manchester City legend Vincent Kompany from Burnley after reportedly deciding to sack Antonio Conte this week.
Conte turned on Spurs owner Daniel Levy and his Tottenham players after Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Southampton.
In an extraordinary press conference, the Italian accused his players of being ‘selfish’ and said the ‘situation will not change’ even if he is replaced.
Tottenham are currently fourth in the Premier League – 20 points behind north London rivals Arsenal – but are set to go yet another season without any silverware after their Champions League and FA Cup exits earlier in the month.
Since Daniel Levy took over the club in 2001, Tottenham have won one trophy – the League Cup in 2008.
Former Inter Milan, Chelsea, Juventus and Italy boss Conte became Levy’s 11th manager when he joined Tottenham in 2021.
Conte guided Spurs into the top-four at the expense of Arsenal last season but his team have underwhelmed this term.
The Daily Telegraph say Spurs are ready to part ways with Conte this week and believe the situation is ‘irretrievable’ following his recent outburst.
Ryan Mason is expected to be placed in temporary charge of the side until the end of the season but former Ireland and Chelsea striker Tony Cascarino believes Tottenham should try to bring Kompany to north London.
Kompany, who won four Premier League titles at Manchester City, is on the verge of promotion to the English top-flight with runaway Championship leaders Burnley.
“In the past Tottenham have just made an obvious choice, picking managers with the best CVs, but it’s time for them to be brave, especially as Harry Kane may well depart, which would create a completely new dynamic at the club,”
“I think Vincent Kompany would be an excellent appointment after his miraculous feats at Burnley this season. He’s had little money but transformed them, adopting a new playing style.”Cascarino told The Times.
Speaking after Conte’s astonishing rant at St Mary’s, former Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson insisted ‘the end is in sight’ for the 53-year-old.
He told BBC Radio 5 Live’s Football Daily:
“He’s come out swinging. This is the first time he has come out and been open and completely honest.
“We’re used to him being very passionate but I got a feeling that the end is in sight from him. He doesn’t care who he brings down in his press conference.
“He didn’t come out picking his punches, he came out head down, eyes closed, swinging.
“He went for the players, he went for the ownership, he went for the club, he went for everybody. He didn’t leave anybody unscarred after that press conference.
“That adds more fuel to the fire. Where are Tottenham with the managerial situation at the moment? His contract is up at the end of the season, we all know that.
“You just think now with an international break coming up, is this the time where the change will be made?
“Do they make the change now and really try and push for the top four with a new manager bounce, or does he stay until the end of the season, but be disruptive and destructive like that was?”
Source: Metro UK